Backoffice companies offer technical support, customer service, and order-taking for computer, communications, retail, and financial companies. The region is home to more than 25 major operations centers that handle customer relationship management or teleservices. Together they employ some 13,000 workers. The state offers a wide variety of financial incentives as part of its commitment to developing its economic base. Other incentives include:
- A skilled and plentiful labor force.
- Competitive minimum wage rates.
- The telecommunications infrastructure is in place.
- Workforce training programs and job training incentive programs ensure a well-trained work force.
- Appropriate buildings and facilities are available.
- A high proportion of Spanish-speaking employees provide bilingual tech support and customer services to meet the needs of the global economy.
- Companies that seek ethnic and racial diversity that reflect their client bases will find Hispanic, Native American, African American, Asian, and Pacific Island populations.
In recent years, Metro New Mexico has attracted several large customer service-oriented businesses, with employees numbering from 100 to well over 1000.
Backoffice and Call Center Top Employers
- Alliance Data - Call center
- Bank of America - Customer service center
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Insurance claims processor
- Cardinal Health - Shared services center
- Citi Cards - Credit card collection
- Convergys - Business process outsourcing (BPO) provider of sales, customer care and technical support services for many Fortune 1000 companies
- Express Scripts - Prescription Mail Order
- Fidelity - Human resources center
- Gap Inc. - Shared services center
- Hewlett Packard - Customer service and technical support center
- SiTel - Customer service center
- Southwest Airlines - Reservation service
- Teleservice Center for Social Security - Teleservicing/data processing center
- T-Mobile - Wireless communications and technical support
- Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support Center - Customer/technical support center