Applied Research Associates provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement evaluation, and specialized robotic vehicles. Photo courtesy APA.
New Mexico has a strong defense industry due to the presence of two national labs and three air force bases, as well as the Air Force Research Laboratories Directed Energy Directorate and the Space Vehicles Directorate. Because of the strong military presence, which accounts for a large precentage of the state's government jobs, this industry ends up being a major employer in New Mexico. Additionally, other industries such as aviation and aerospace, high-technology, manufacturing and machining, and electronics, heavily support the defense industry and provide numerous opportunities for these industries to work hand in hand.
The recently completed Kitland Air Force Base Study, which was focused on land-use, transportation, and regional economic impact in and around the base, is available online through the Mid-Region Council of Governments website. To learn about the economic impact that Kirtland Airforce Base had on the local ecomony in 2008, check out their Economic Impact Statement.
Defense Industry Top Employers
- Applied Research Associates- Providing in-depth and diversified research, engineering, and technical support services in the areas of defense technologies, civil engineering, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and blast testing and measurement. Provides technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement evaluation, and specialized robotic vehicles.
- Applied Technology Associates- Specializes in precision sensing, measurement and controls.
- Battelle - Albuquerque office specializing in: Chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive operational testing and evaluation; chemical and biological disaster preparedness and emergency planning; technology assessments; predictive molecular modeling; and indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity program and task order management.
- Boeing Directed Energy Systems - Directed energy and strategic missile and defense systems.
- ICx Technologies - Development of advanced sensor technologies for homeland security, force protection and commercial applications.
- Lockheed Martin - Global security company engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services.
- Northrop Grumman - Global secuity company providing innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, shipbuilding and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
- Air Force Research Laboratory
- Los Alamos National Lab: National Security Science
- Kirtland Air Force Base Space & Missile Systems Center
- Professional Aerospace Contractors Association (PACA) - The dominant industry trade group in the Southwest.
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Technology Ventures Corporation - Helps startup companies that are developing technology with, and for, the national laboratories.
- UNM Institute for Astrophysics
- UNM Institute of Meteoritics
- UNM Institute for Space & Nuclear Power Studies - Does VLSI work for NASA