At Ingenuity Central, the sky’s the limit on ideas. In addition to an environment that nurtures and encourages new thinking, the region supports entrepreneurs with a variety of tools including accelerators, boot camps, incubators, makerspaces and meet-ups.
The 2014 New Economy Index rated New Mexico highest in the following areas:
- 1 in 50 states for non-industry R&D—this is important as it has a substantial impact on innovation. In fact, New Mexico had 9 times the national average non-industry R&D as a share of GSP due in large part to the work of Sandia National Laboratories
- 16 out of 50 states for innovation capacity; and
- 19 out of 50 states for knowledge jobs
Most important to new start-ups is funding and the state and region hold their own in that area. The State’s Private Equity Investment Fund has provided direct funding for 70 companies and has created a means for smaller equity houses to provide seed funding to new ventures.
Nine local venture firms are part of the New Mexico Venture Capital Association which, in addition to the New Mexico Angels, provides equity investments to local startup companies.
The following micro lenders provide assistance to start-ups in the region:
- 1 Million Cups, a venue for community feedback on new startup companies
- ABQid, a business accelerator
- FatPipe ABQ Coworking Space
- Innovation Central showcases entrepreneurial developments, events, movers and shakers in the City of Albuquerque
- Sandoval Economic Alliance, providing business assistance workshop
For all the organizations and resources in the entrepreneurial ecosystem go to Create and Connect.