New Mexico's information technology sector continues to grow and prosper through the success of private, small-scale entrepreneurial businesses, larger companies such as Intel and Northrup Grumman, and government entities including the military and law force division. Activities in this sector are focused on software development, computer technology, internet and web-based services, and telecommunications products and services. The strength's of Albuquerque's IT sector include:
- Cluster supercomputers
- Data mining
- Graphics animation and visualization
- Geospatial information
- Environmental software
- Educational technologies
- Internet technologies
- Cyber-security and encryption
- Networking technologies
It's no surprise that many IT companies want to move or establish themselves here. Given the many financial incentives, well-established communications network, efficient transportation system, highly skilled workforce, and inviting and diverse communities, it's no wonder that this field is rapidly expanding. The Metro New Mexico area is on its way to becoming a world-center for inovation in the IT arena.
In April 2010, New Mexico Business Weekly honored 28 individuals who are making their mark in the technology sector. Many of these indivudals may very well become a part of Metro New Mexico's influential technology field.
Top Information Technology Employers
- Abba Technologies - Partners with customers in both government and the private sector to implement fully integrated, complete and reliable IT solutions.
- Aquila Technologies - Business solutions provider specializing in the areas of: network and wireless security, network health and monitoring, directory services, identity management and IT training.
- Elite (ProLaw Software) - ProLaw software suite is designed to automate the practice and manage the business of law.
- Kemtah Group - Managing IT services and technology infrastructure according to the Best Practices of TOGAF, ITIL, ISO, COBIT, and PMBOK.
- MIMICS Financial Software - Financial software.
- Net Medical Express - (Formerly New Mexico Software) Delivers methods of integrating data with unstructured information such as medical data. Products provide: Secure Document Management, Storage & Distribution, Easy Forms & Processes, Offsite Website Management & BackupSecure Document Management, Storage & Distribution, Easy Forms & Processes, Offsite Website Management & Backup.
- Professional Innovations, Inc. - Subsidiary of Academy Corp; manufacturer and supplier of products and materials such as thin-film vacuum coatings used by a variety of industries, including electronics.
- QinetiQ North America - Systems engineering, IT solutions and technology development.
- Ultramain - Integrated maintenence and logistics software.
- VanDyke Software - Secure shell solutions including: secure file transfer, secure terminal emulation and SSH.
- Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories
- High Performance Computing Center at UNM
- Santa Fe Institute
- Department of Computer Science at UNM
New Mexico Resources
- New Mexico Computing Applications Center
- New Mexico Technology Assistance Program - In addition to providing in-depth expertise on accessible information technology, the NMTAP is carrying out a number of important initiatives dedicated to enhancing the capacity of educational institutions to purchase, make and integrate accessible information technology in the classroom.
- New Mexico Technology Council - A member-driven association of business and organization executive leaders, working together to promote the growth and success of New Mexico's technology sectors.
- Sandia National Labs - Computer Science Research Institute - A leader in virtually every aspect of hardware and software development. It’s probably best known in the computer world for massively parallel computing -- linking large numbers of desktop computers and getting them to work together.
- Technology Ventures Corporation - Helps startup companies that are developing technology with, and for, the national laboratories.
- UNM Center for Advanced Research Computing
Education and Job Training
- CNM Geographic Information Technology
- CNM School of Business & Information Technology
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology - Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
- Sandia National Labs Advanced Technology Academics - Provide a high school based learning environment for students with map to the real world of meaningful employment and a technology focus.
- UNM Center for Advanced Research Computing
- UNM Computer Science Department